Getting a stiff neck is normal every once in a while. From children to adults, anyone involved in a strenuous activity that causes the head to remain in one position over a long period of time can develop a stiff neck. It really hurts turning your head when you have a stiff neck but there is a huge difference between having a stiff neck and bad neck pain that should be treated by a professional.
You should see a chiropractor if:
• You experience unbearable pain when you attempt to turn your head from side to side
• You need a painkiller to get through the day
• You use painkillers regularly
• You have been recently involved in any accident
• Your pain does not go away after a couple of days
• The pain started in the neck and resulted in numbness or tingling in hands
• The pain is worst in the morning and reduces during the day
Neck pain could be due to a number of reasons. Pinched nerves occur when the vertebrae is slipped out of alignment. The pinched nerve can cause neck pain and the pain may radiate down the shoulders and arms. Whiplash is also another common cause for neck pain. Whiplash occurs when the head is suddenly jerked in a back and forth motion, which causes tearing in the tendons and ligaments in the neck.
The chiropractor does a full assessment of your health and neck pain history. This assessment helps the chiropractor diagnose the cause of the pain and determines how to treat it. You may need a couple of session before the pain goes away completely.
Seeing a chiropractor for neck pain is a good choice if you want to avoid health problems. Using painkillers only masks the pain and the situation could get worse. The chiropractor can also give exercises and advice on how to relieve the neck pain while at home. Here are a few things you can do to prevent neck pain:
• Lack of good posture overextends the tendons in the neck causing neck pain. You should maintain good postures when sitting or standing.
• You should use your computer when the monitor is at an eye-to-eye level.
• Take breaks during the day at work to stretch out and do a few desk exercises if your job requires you to sit for long.
• Use a firm pillow that gives your head proper support when sleeping.
Here at Triangle Spine Center, we specialize in family chiropractic care, auto accidents and work injuries. Call us today!