Everyone is always asking me which pillow is the perfect pillow.
The short answer is, there is NO pillow that is PERFECT for everyone. However, there can be a perfect pillow for you.
A lot of doctors and therapists have their pet pillow. I don’t mean they have pillows as actual pets. They just fall in love with a certain pillow and tell everyone that it’s the best thing since sliced bread. The truth is that it’s more important to understand what makes up a great pillow rather than getting stuck on any one brand. With that in mind…here are a few things to keep in mind when looking for your perfect pillow.
- Cheap Pillows (<$20): Cheap pillows are exactly that… cheap. It doesn’t mean you can’t make them work. I still use cheap pillows at times. But if you run to Target or Walmart and grab a pillow off the shelf…well…you get what you pay for. Don’t expect more.
- Expensive Pillows (>$100): Considering how much time you spend sleeping, it just makes good sense to invest some of your hard earned cash in finding a pillow you love. Just because a pillow is expensive doesn’t mean it is going to fit you better than a cheap or moderately priced one.
Make finding a pillow that fits your needs your first priority, then worry about the price. Not the other way around.
- Stomach Sleeping: Don’t Do It!…it’s bad. All you are doing is messing up your neck. Enough about that.
- Sleeping Position: Side and back sleeping are both OK. Whichever you prefer is up to you.
- Pillow Size: If you don’t want to look all hunched over or leaning to one side while you are standing up, you shouldn’t sleep in that position either. You want to use a pillow that allows you to sleep in a neutral position.
Many companies sell different sized pillows for different sized people. If you are not an average size person (big or small), you might want to look for those options. A pillow that is too big or too small will strain your neck and ultimately cause you pain in the morning.
In Good Health,
Dr. Cinnamon Claudio
Don’t forget to schedule your next Chiropractic Appointment and/or Massage. SCHEDULE HERE!